Posts by Funky-kun

I use the ODAC with my laptop and it doesn't "whine", but it happened when it was connected to a friend's desktop that was turned off. So it is not your ODAC's fault, it probably is because of the laptop. In any case, unplugging it should solve the problem.
It is completely normal. Happens to mine when connected to a desktop PC too. Not when using it with my laptop though.
If possible try it on another computer to see if the problem is the ODAC itself. Also, try using it with any USB hub you have lying around and see if it helps. A generic $5 hub helped me resolve my issue (3 posts up).
In light of the recent discussion of hardware vs. software volume control I tried testing whether I can hear the difference or not. So I set the volume from my laptop to a minimal level and maxed my amp... It sounded pretty much the same (might be the fact that I used foobar's volume control, not Windows'), but I did find something else. Running directly from my USB port the ODAC seems to get high-pitched noises from the power supply. I know that my amp is dead silent so...
Using foobar2000, when trying to output 88.2 khz files through WASAPI you get:       Under Direct Sound it plays fine, the OS taking care of the resampling, as set in the control panel.    I personally avoid the issue by resampling only the unsupported sample rates with SoX to 44.1.
Managed to isolate an occurrence of this, at last!   Replaygain mode: prevent clipping according to peak Source: track Output: WASAPI (event): ODAC Buffer: 1000 ms Same DSP chain as in first post.   Playback order: random When "KMFDM - Megalomanic.flac" ended, the next track was "The Prodigy - Mindfields.flac". Within 1 second of the start of the song, volume was lowered.        More info on tracks:   KMFDM -...
I had the chance to A/B today against the Xonar Essence STX (/w LME49720s) for an hour in a quiet listening environment.   I think overall the ODAC is a step up from the STX's DAC.    ODAC is clearer sounding in the mid frequencies and lets more of the recording's details through. As such the sense of ambience in recordings is enhanced.   I think it is a question of the brain getting used to it, but absorbing more information from the mids tends to create the...
It happens only with foobar2000. Currently with latest version.   It certainly has happened with flac files, not too sure about mp3s, as they are a small part of my library, and it happens randomly. It also only occurs when a track ends and another one starts at random, and never when I manually change tracks.   I think this doesn't occur with replay gain set to apply gain. However, I can't really understand why the volume would be attenuated on a flac file....
I've been using foobar2000 for a couple of years now, and something has caught my attention.   I generally play my music shuffled. Sometimes, apparently randomly, within 1 second of the start of a track the volume level seems to change. I think it only decreases. Even if I play the previous track and switch to the same track again, the same thing does not occur twice in a row. Because of this it has been really hard to analyze what's happening.   This phenomenon...
Received the ODAC today, and have been listening to it for the past 2 hours. I am very pleased with my purchase. (got it from Head'n'HiFi)   Win7 recognized it without any problems and foobar config was a breeze. Initial impressions are that the unit is very transparent. Great detailed rendition of highs without any fatigue on my system. (Audio-GD C-2C -> Senn HD650) Cohesive imaging and amazing detail extraction.    Later this week I'll hopefully have time to...