Posts by MooBin

Quote: Originally Posted by Skylab I personally would never spend $300 on ANY pair of 6DJ8. I got my Bugle Boys for like $30 each, but I did buy them individually and I got them on EBay which I can do because I have a tube tester. What are you using now again? I'd suggest getting a pair of the NOS JAN-Sylvanias that tubedepot sells for $30/pair, and start there. I am using 6922 JAN Philips ECG USA and hope that the 6DJ8 will bring an...
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylab I don't recommend Cryo-treating vintage tubes - asking for trouble for probably no benefit. Just get regular Bugle Boys. Skylab - I do need your help now. This is an experience thing and I dont have any. It seems that it is hard to find a matched pair of Amperex bugle boys - I saw only offers of single tubes in this category. a) Do you have any idea where I may find some matched pair of Amperex Bugle Boys...
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylab The 6DJ8 can be used in the Woo3, and is the better choice IMO. I like the JAN-Sylvania 6DJ8 as a "bang-for-the-buck" tube - can be had NOS for $15 each and sounds very good. These are what I use in my Decware CSP-2. Beyond that I'd look for Amperex Bugle Boys, but be prepared to spend much more money for those. Now you got me Skylab - I know I cannot resist for long (I am still trying hard though) before I...
It is not the nature of the WA3+. I had hum only with the original 6AS7GA. With the Cetron 7236 it is gone. So this is not inherent in the design of the amp - which was a big relief for me by the way. I got the following answer back from Jack concerning this issue "Some tubes do have louder noise than the others, even within the same brand. The question is that if the hum is audible while music is playing. If the hum does not interference with normal listening, there is...
Quote: Originally Posted by atbglenn MooBin, Just for your information, the Woo 3+ doesn't use a rectifier tube. It uses an internal solid state bridge rectifier. The 6AS7GA is the output tube for both channels, the 6922's are the driver tubes. Thanks a lot for this info and sorry for my innocence ! Is it that 6992 is the equivalent of 6DJ8 (the driver tubes) ? Sorry just learning step by step.
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylab My WA3 didn't hum at all with high impedance headphones, but did have a little hum with very low impedance headphones. You got the hum with your Senns, not your Denons, yes? You might want to try some different 6DJ8's as well as the (excellent) 7236 you have already rolled in. Yes, it is with the Senns - I dont own Denon Headphones (but 3 generations of Denon DVD-Players - all three working in different...
Quote: Originally Posted by RyanJH Hi, I recently purchased the Woo3+ after making the mistake of viewing these forums. The original plan was just to "buy some nice headphones". Then I ended up with "some nice headphones" plus a new soundcard and an amp... and tubes are probably next. Anyway, my Woo3+ is still being built, I expect to get it in 2-3 weeks. So I am very interested in hearing about your initial experiences with it. Thanks for making...
I have a brand new WA3+ and mechanically it does not hum at all. Dead quiet even with the ear to the chassis. However, it did slightly hum in the signal path using the stock rectifier tube. I had a similar occurance with a PS Audio Powerplant P300 (the first units ever). Adjusting the tightness of the commutator (is this the correct term?) or the fins (?) did the job as alredy suggested by other Head-Fi members. It is also important on which surface you place the unit....
Reporting day 2: Tracking down the hum Remove input source -> Hum -> disconnecting everything else from the power strip -> Hum -> changing Headphone cables and Headphones -> Hum -> Change to other power circuit in house -> Hum -> Clean tube pins -> Hum -> feeding the WA3+ via a PS Audio Power Plant 300 with pure 220V sinewave while altering power frequency and voltage -> Hum altering in pitch together with the frequency -> exchanging the stock rectifier tube 6AS7GA with...
The following thread is created to let everybody participate in the process of setting up and optimizing my new bedside headphone setup using a Woo Audio 3+. The hope is that this might be helpful to some fellow headfiers as it may be to myself as a headphone newbie since I would like to ask questions along the way. Comments are also very much appreciated. I intend to post my experiences as they occur in time and I hope it is not too much boring. The numbering of days is...