Posts by MooBin

Quote: Originally Posted by donunus when technology comes out where cans can automatically adjust to individual hrtf, we will have the ultimate cans Not exactly ! I hope we will not need to wait that long If I put on the cans and cannot tell if my favorite musician is in the room with me right there or if it is just a reproduction then that's what I call ultimate - and I do not believe that this is somthing individual. With some non headphone...
Back in the early 80's I came across a demonstration of a Krell KSA100 with Apogee Duetta speakers. After the demo I immediately decided to get this setup - however difficult the financing was for me at that time. From what I read here and elsewhere on the forum - the HD800 does not produce a definite "need to have" effect like that. So again some nice headphone - but not THE headphone obviously. Have to try it by myself of course. In case a HD800 crosses my way (just...
Quote: Originally Posted by NWRain The Fi 300B by Don Garber This big glass bulp looks surreal to me. Where are the cars ? OK no joking...this is really a phantastic thread - if only the german audio magazines knew - for which headphone amps are obviously a very small niche...pls. keep on posting everybody - and thank you all so much for this incredible pictures Dreaming of creating an own style amp already.... - well - dreaming only.
Reporting day 7: Tube rolling continued - Not really an elimination but rather a matter of taste plus some music recommendations Burn in time so far: approx. 140 hours for cabling, source, WA3+ basic (tubes vary), about 170 hours for the Senns. The 7326 Cetron 1983 NOS with Philips ECC88 Holland "A" frame getter 1975 NOS (combination 2) delivers a direct, powerful and clear sound, but it seems like some overtones are at least reduced (detectable by the slight veil...
My experience is that after 2 hours (nothing less) amps sound better than shortly after switching them on. That is true for a tube and a solid state amp alike. I do really not know why that is but why should I care if I may hear the difference ? Unkle Eric quotes Lord Kelvin with "If you cant measure it you cant improve it". This is a quite scientific approach - and does therefore do reality not always full justice. I believe that if you cannot hear a difference then...
I would go for black - I have a WA3+ in black, too. One of the advantages is that in dim light the tube glowing is nicer as the silver does not interfere with it. ..unless you have a silver source of course.
Quote: Originally Posted by skeptic Try some amperex 7308 next! I love the 7308 + 5998 combo Thank you very much for the suggestion ! This seems to be one pretty rare breed ! It should better be good ! I hope you enjoy it. But before I do consider this option I would like to finish the shootout with my 4 combinations. How much better can a WA3+ get ? And who knows - for some reasons completely unknown to me currently I might suddenly turn...
Quote: Originally Posted by Stevesebastianb XD5.1 Class A Valve Tube Intergrated Amp. (Tubes: 6N2 x 6 6P1 (6AQ5) x 12) Good luck finding some matched series for tube rolling
Reporting day 6: Tube rolling continued, a music recommendation, some conclusions and a Woo Headphone Stand Burn in time so far: approx. 110 hours for cabling, source, WA3+ basic (tubes vary), about 140 hours for the Senns. I begin with a big recommendation: I received a Woo Audio Headphone Stand (for a single headphone). Wow, now that’s what I call build quality ! (And I am a born german staying in Switzerland if you know what I mean ). I can absolutely recommend...
The german magazine "Audio" has just published a comparison between the Grado GS-1000i and the HD800. The bottom line is that the Senn has a neutral and precise characteristic, they say its the perfect crossbreed of a studio acoustic lens and a stimulant. However the reviewers attest the HD800 a somewhat "dry" reproduction ("like in a studio cabin without reflexions"), whereas the Grado has a more spacious sound ("portable instant concert hall") - according to the Audio...