Posts by Shark_Jump

Thanks Uncle Erik. Your holistic approach to the problem is appreciated. I'm actually listening to Fleetwood Mac 'The Chain' using the Sony 2400ES as my DAC right now and it doesn't sound bad at all. Perhaps I can get a cheap second hand DAC with valve just for fun to recreate that 70's amp sound. [Actually ignore that I have had too much wine last night. After 10mins it sounds like a hippo bouncing on a trampoline. I need a DAC.]
Thanks for the all the advice. Can anyone recommend a DAC for $400US? Looking for analogue richness but digital detail? Its a bit of a revelation to me that the DAC route is the way to go (as opposed to purchasing a CDP). Although it makes perfect logic to me, I asked the question due to the fact it does not appear to be a 'high street' option with the major brands. It should be as the market out there would be huge. Please note I am only considering low/mid range...
Thanks Panda, could you elaborate what you consider as mediocre transport? Surely the transport on any mainstream $100 DVD player would be satisfactory? Most DAC's >$300 can overcome jitter in the PCM signal anyway. Why are so many DAC's not worthwhile? Were these recommended and didn't suit your system? I am looking for a more analogue but still detailed sound and have a budget of $500US. The reason I originally asked the question is I have $500US to spend on getting...
I have a question that I have been getting conflicting answers to and would appreciate some expert opinion. My Cambridge Audio 640C v2 has broken. Whilst contemplating getting a new CD player I considered an alternative option, which is to use the coaxial output from my blue ray player as the input to a stand alone DAC. I have spoken to two dealers, one agrees with me wholeheartedly and recommends the Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Another didn't make much sense and told...