Posts by Max Minimum

Okay, good news! After listening to a couple of songs from XTC's Wasp Star album, I can say the sound you get with this method and the eq turned off is a good solution. It's not as good as what you'd get from a top notch cd player (ahem, kindly hinting that you shouldn't throw out those cd's), but I'd bet most people would never know the difference. The sound is very clean and no double amping nonsense! One thing to note, not that it's a real drawback, is that you'll...
I have a slightly bigger collection of cd's than that (nearing 500) and I can get it on my 60g Xtra, no problem. The sound from the headphone jack paired with ATH-CM7's is really good, too. I have not yet gotten a y connector to hook it up to my stereo, though I'll try that soon. One note, though. I did try this with an Archos Jukebox Studio 20 and it had a sort of disconcerting double-amped sound, even though it has an out marked as "line out". Well, actually it has...
Quote: Originally Posted by Spankypoo I just don't get this harsh-highs thing on the MX. I have to agree with you. I have the MX-500's and they are limited (we ARE talking about sub-twenties 'phones here), but well-balanced.
Another vote against the Plugs here, though it sounds like you've already been steered away from them. At newegg.com you can get the Senn MX500's for $20 including S&H with no tax. The Senns have better bass. While the Slugs have more bass, it's like drowning in a thick, viscous and undefined slush while the Senns are much tighter and still have decent bass. Comparing the highs is no contest at all. The Senns actually have some. The Koss Slugs sound like a below...
Here's a good nearly-allrounder. The Audio Technica ATH-CM7 earbuds. I've never heard earbuds that approach their sound (but then, I hadn't tried any that cost more than about $30 before them either). They're good for social situations and work because you can take them out easily and they don't isolate much, so you won't have people mad at you for having to repeat themselves, or (insert-your-own-diety-here) forbid, TOUCH you to get your attention. I've run with them...
I'm going to have to replace my keyboard - it's drowning in drool. Good review and thanks for the pics!
Don't go scaring me like that. I just received my 60g Xtra two days ago from newegg and it does not have the new case with the window, so I'm guessing it's not reinforced. Well, a full 10 hours or so of use (the battery indicator is still showing what looks like half full!), and no probs with the jack.
I use the Audio Technica ATH-CM7 Aluminum Sticks (earbuds) with a Zen Xtra. I'm very happy with the nuetrality and detail of this combination, though I wouldn't mind just a tad more bass. And the cool thing is that, because I can keep the Zen in my pants pocket, at the end of the day, I can just get up and walk out the door without even taking them off (the 'buds, not the pants, sheesh!) - I work late, so there's usually nobody around to feel slighted by my not saying...
Quote: Originally Posted by lindrone As far as its aesthetic design... they look like something I can get at Walgreen's. Ha ha! Great line - they are a little, um, 'humble' looking.
You may want to check out the Audio-Technica ATH-CM5 Aluminum Stick Earphones. I've got the CM7's and they really sound good. These do not share drivers, however. The reviews I've read here (not many, though) and my own experience with AT make me feel confident that they're likely to be right up there at the top for earbud sound in this price range. They may have the uneven cord, though. The CM7's do. I'm in the camp that likes them, myself, though. They're really...