Posts by Max Minimum

Good point about amping, and really, the 880's need a dedicated headphone amp to sound their best. That really takes them to another level of performance. By contrast, amping doesn't do much for my HD595's. The two are much closer in quality of sound when not amped (I may even prefer the sound signature of the 595 if they're both unamped, though with eq tweaking you can still squeeze a little bit more range out of the 880's), but the 880's jump ahead if they're amped.
I would not say they are the best 'phones for rock or for house, but I'm not sure one headphone is likely to be the best in both. The 595 will sound at least "good" no matter what you play. I don't listen to much house, so I'm not sure what'd be best for that. As far as rock goes, Grado really specializes in that, but the sound of Grados doesn't fit other types of music as well. I hope that is understandable. And these are open headphones so there will be sound...
Mid centric with involving vocals-some say CHECK, some say thin and distant? I'd say the vocals are a little bit distant, but not terribly so. And this is in comparison to the forward-sounding ER-4 and HD595. Detail-but still involving musically, not analytical - CHECK The DT880's are very detailed and can be somewhat analytical in that you can use them for analyzing the "sound" of the recording easily (rather than just enjoying the music itself) but, at the same time,...
The 595's are an excellent pair of cross-genre listening headphones. In the price range I don't think you can get anything better for that purpose, particularly if you'll be listening without a dedicated headphone amp.
Quote: Originally Posted by greggf Has anyone ever proven that certain headphones add the coloration of sibilance? Or is it solely a matter of interpretation? I'm betting that, unless there is something very wrong with a pair of headphones, they will not actually "add" sibilance, but they may "accentuate" any that is already there. Excessive output in the 3 kHz - 7 kHz range (where vocal sibilance lies) would do it, it would seem. The DT880's...
Great review Pataburd! Thanks for all the great insight. Golden Monkey, I see you have the HD590s. I found their mids to be recessed as well, though I did enjoy them. Assuming you agree that their mids are recessed, would you say the D2000 mids are more or less recessed than with the 590's?
I don't know what your level of knowledge is so please forgive me if I over- or underestimate your understanding of the subject. Are you asking for a definition of frequency response? You'll find this measured in Hertz (Hz) or Kilohertz (kHz = 1000 Hz). 500 Hz means 500 cycles per second and Hertz can be used to describe any cyclical event (radiation, sound, etc.). In the case of sound it would mean 500 vibrations per second. Healthy young human ears can hear sounds...
Quote: Originally Posted by antonyfirst Nope: I have had enough of the D5000. Do you mean you're sick of hearing about them or that you've heard them and they're not to your liking?
I guess I just didn't wait long enough. The charge light turned off once the charge was complete on mine, too. It was mentioned by someone else that the amp was specifically made to be paired with the ER-4P and the Yuin PK1. I don't have the latter, but I can attest to the fact that the E+ works great with the ER-4P! I have to admit that I'd always thought that talk of the S being significantly better than the P was probably exaggerated. I am now a convert. Engaging...
Quote: Originally Posted by TaZ82 Hi, I just received my minibox e+ and was wondering do I start charging it for 10hours like a new handphone or do I use it till the battery is flat then recharge? I did try to charge the amp, does the red light on the charger change to green when its charging or does it remain red in colour? Cheers I've just received mine as well - love it so far! As for the charger light, mine is actually amber in color and...