or Connect

Posts by Asr

The stacking subject, again?   No one should be stacking the GS-X MK2 period. The audibility of the power transformer hum is irrelevant. It's stated in the manual that you shouldn't stack the amp & PSU, doesn't anyone read manuals anymore? And blocking the ventilation on either unit could shorten the lifespan of whichever unit is blocked, as excessive heat can easily kill electronics. You won't ever "see" the effect of heat build-up (unless you use thermal imaging), but...
Not all balanced amps are created equal, and it also depends on what you intend to use it with.   But in general, a balanced source means that the source has two DACs (Digital Audio Converters) inside to generate what's called a dual-differential signal that's typically output via two 3-pin XLR jacks. You would then need two 3-pin XLR interconnects to connect the source to a balanced amp.   To determine if a source is truly balanced (because not all of them are, as...
^ The Bottlehead Crack is an OTL amp, and OTL amps are generally much better suited for driving high-impedance headphones (specifically, 300 Ohms or higher, like your HD650) than other types of amps. It would not be capable of adequately driving the Alpha Dog, which is a modified Fostex T50rp, a 50 Ohm headphone.
Actually your complaints are consistent with my impressions as well, so it's not just you.   The Yamaha MT220 is a good sonic contrast in the opposite direction of the MSR7 and isn't anywhere as bright (and has a marginally more open soundstage, as well as being less pressure-clamping), but it unfortunately sacrifices a good amount of clarity compared to the MSR7.....
The Bottlehead Crack is far from an ideal amp for the Alpha Dog, you should take that off your list. While the Lyr 2 would work better (and is what MrSpeakers originally used to demo the Alpha Dog at shows with), it's likely that won't fix your complaint with the Alpha Dog.   I doubt you'd like the Denon D5000 if you like the HD650, they're pretty different-sounding. Plus the D5000 is out of production now.   One headphone you might want to try is the Oppo PM-3. I...
How about neither. The ENIGMAcoustics Dharma D1000 currently flying under the radar on Head-Fi might be a better option.
 I've personally had the most success using SMS text messaging to communicate with Justin, for whatever that's worth.... (the phone # on the site is his cell phone)  I heard directly from Justin that he isn't personally attending CanJam London, and that Iron_Dreamer/HeadAmpTeam will be there instead to represent HeadAmp.
 Not only do I prefer the Dharma, I also consider it to be a better value. The Ether's lack of clarity really bothered me for a headphone that costs over $1K, that just shouldn't be happening. I don't think that should be happening on a headphone costing over $500 for that matter either. Heck, I genuinely thought my $250 Audio-Technica MSR7 sounded clearer than the Ether! Granted, I have budget gear and all that, so I hope that whenever I'm able to upgrade to better...
Btw, there are some additional impressions of the Dharma from the 8/22 Denver CO meet here, a lot of other Head-Fiers really liked it: http://www.head-fi.org/t/778615/8-22-15-denver-co-meet-impressions
If anyone is interested in my Ether and Dharma impressions (not from the meet, but from while I had them before & after over the weekend), they can each be found here:Dharma: http://www.head-fi.org/t/750437/enigmacoustics-dharma/480#post_11867470Ether: http://www.head-fi.org/t/760249/mrspeakers-ether-impressions-thread/1755#post_11869970 Didn't bother with formal impressions for the HE1K, as most potential buyers of a $3K headphone likely wouldn't be using the very budget...