Posts by Asr

Just posted my review: http://www.head-fi.org/products/garage1217-project-polaris/reviews/11612
 Just wait until CanJam@RMAF, you'll probably be able to try both amps at the show: http://www.head-fi.org/t/731471/2014-canjam-rmaf-october-10-12-2014-the-canjam-exhibitor-list-has-been-finalized-and-what-a-lineup
If you like the Denon D7100, there's a decent chance you'd like the Fostex TH900. Not that I've heard the D7100 (actually I have, but that's not my point) but Fostex used to make Denon's headphones (the D2000, D5000, and D7000) and a lot of other people have said that the TH900 is something like an upgraded D7000. I can't personally speak to that though. I did own the TH900 for a while though, and I thought it was awesome. I wrote reviews of the LCD-3 and TH900 btw. I was...
^ Low gain with low output resistance, plus a low-gain tube (like the 12AU7 or similar) provides for enough volume fine-tuning with low-impedance, sensitive headphones. I actually tried it with a really sensitive headphone (the Audio-Technica AD2000 which is 40 Ohms and 102 dB/mW).   You could also alternately get the Project Polaris instead which has an input attenuation module which effectively reduces the gain even more (and doesn't sacrifice anything in terms of the...
 Just wanted to say that the HD700 was discounted to $550 by a lot of retailers last year for Black Friday. Could be worth waiting until then for anyone looking to buy an HD700.... (wouldn't be surprised if the K712 gets a Black Friday deal too, could be worth waiting for?)
 From the Schiit line, the best amp for the K712 (on paper at least) is the Lyr 2. For something cheaper that's still American-made, you can't do better than the Garage1217 Project Ember.
You missed all 3 major headphone-related events in the SoCal area this year - the two regional Los Angeles Head-Fi meets (one back in March on 3/22, another just a few weeks ago on 8/9) along with the 2014 THE Show Newport Beach? Any of those events would've been great opportunities for you to hear an...
The Lyr 2 has more power capability than the Valhalla 2 only with low-impedance headphones (generally under ~120 Ohms). The Valhalla 2 actually has more power output than the Lyr 2 with high-impedance headphones (300 Ohms and greater) and should be the obvious choice for such headphones, which includes the HD800, especially given that it's an OTL amp (which is the ideal technical amp-matching for the HD800).
 It's certainly possible that the new gear might not provide the sonic improvement that you're hoping for. I owned the LCD-2 (both the r1 and r2) and LCD-3, and I've heard the LCD-X briefly (in my home for a mere 6 days), but I was thoroughly unimpressed and thought the LCD-X sounded alot like the ole LCD-3, which in turn was almost the same as the LCD-2. I'd recommend keeping what you already have: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."
I don't see anything wrong with your current setup and don't think that anything you're considering is really a huge upgrade over what you currently own either. If you're dissatisfied with what you own that'd be one thing, but if you're not, why bother?   If you have money to burn I'd recommend traveling to a show or meet. There are actually some Head-Fi meets there in Sydney (check the Meets forum), just wait for the next one. I also know of Addicted to Audio...