Posts by redrum42

Hi,   I want to try using my mk iv as a pre-amp. I would be using it with this integrated amp doing power amp functions: http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/shearne_phase2.htm   Unfortunately there is not much info available about this amp, so I can't find out if it is DC coupled. Any ideas how I could tell? And am I right in thinking that if it is dc coupled I cannot use my little dot with it?   Thanks
Thanks for your suggestion. I'll get some of them. Any signal tube recommendations that would have softer treble than the rca black plates I am currently using? Thanks.
[duplicate post]
I have what I think are the stock tubes that came with the amp (bought this second hand), and a pair of rca black plate 5654s that came with it. I cant hear much difference between these two when it comes to the ultra-highs. Keep changing my mind on which is harsher.
Hi guys,   I have a mk iv driving HD600s. I love the sound of the HD600s on all frequencies apart from the very top end. I find the ultra-highs to be a bit intrusive and harsh, making hi-hats and certain cymbal blasts too piercing and prominent. Any tube recommendations to take the edge off these ultra-highs without sacrificing the rest of the treble? I don't want to make the HD600s any more laid back in the upper mids, lower treble because I think they sound perfect...
So I was just reading this thread because I have always wondered about the cable debate. You guys seem to be talking about capacitance and inductance, and whether that has any effect. I'm not sure about that, but it seems to be that impedance would effect frequency response anyway. I studied physics at uni but its been a while. I've been trying to remember what I used to know to think about how impedance would effect frequency response. Here is what I got:   So, when...
Hi,   Excellent condition HD600s with box. I'm curious to hear what the HD650s sound like - unfortunately I don't have the cash to keep both at once, so I'm looking to trade with anyone who has the HD650s and would like to swap for a pair of HD600s.   I'm in the UK - ideally, I'd rather do swap in person in London, but I am happy to post elsewhere in the UK.   Thanks,   Andrew
Hi there,   Just wanted to ask. Is the Little Dot IV (not se version) a good match for HD600? Would it also be good for Grados? (I have a custom woodied pair).   I am thinking about buying a second hand one for £150. Is that a good deal? And is there much of a difference between the regular and the SE version?   Thanks for the help!
Thanks for the great replies!    cucera: yer, I guess the wooden cups reduced the highs a bit. I didn't think it was that big of a difference though. And yes I think you are right. I think the reduced bass and the much less intense transients in the upper mids make the really high frequencies stand out with the HD600 in a way that they don't with my Grados.   Brooko: Very interesting! Yer, it is all in cymbals and stuff that I notice this. I guess it makes sense....
Hi,   So I just picked up a pair of HD600s yesterday used: thought it was time to hear what the fuss was all about. What confused me though is how bright they sound - there is loads of upper treble making cymbals louder and more piercing than I am used to. I am coming from a long time listening to my Grados: originally sr80s with custom wood cups.   The sennheisers definitely are a lot smoother and more laidback in the mids and upper mids, but I am hearing far...