Posts by milesandcoltrane

On the subject of sibilance: I tried the DT880 250ohm some time back and really enjoyed the refreshingly differet sound from what I was used to. The only problem I had was sibilance. Track which exposed this: diana krall's s'wonderful. The setup was MacBook pro to crazy cheap DAC (forgot the brand) and a very basic home amp ( I think it was like a maxed out cmoy with a wall wart). When I moved to a dedicated CD player, playing the same track to a bigger amp (corda swing...
Wow, I can't believe this thread is still around and on the 1st page. I'm the OP. Lost my password and had to re-register recently. Dang I kinda miss my DT150. Comfort was a real bitch tho. If only I had tried the Dt100 velour pads. Nonetheless great cans! Kinda dorky but hey what the hell. It's a pity I never really got a proper Home based amp and DAC for em so they never could shine properly.    Heard them out of the Beyerdynamic A1. Amazing. But alas my mind is...
Just bought a used Sennheiser HD414 Classic also known as the 50th Anniversary edition for 50 bucks.   This is not the original 2000ohm version or the 600ohm variant. The box and accompanying papers rate it at 52ohms.   I've read a few threads on the HD414, though these are few and far between. Most people say this 50th Anniversary model is not similar to the original version. Many also say that its the 'lousier' version. Oh well, for 50 bucks how can I...
Yeah the HD600 has been a set of headphones I've wanted for a very long time. Impeccably natural and I concur, perfect for Jazz. And with the advent of the HD800, prices for the HD600, especially used, have come down a whole lot making them a real steal for the price. The problem is they need a decent amp to drive them. I tried them with an iBasso D4 and really didn't like what I was hearing. I would be looking at a decent full-sized DAC + amp for the JH13 so I guess I...
Thanks for all the reply guys! Yeah mocha. I would have to agree that the grado's aren't too good for jazz. But I hear the rs1 with flats and tubes are great. But that's stepping way ahead of what I'm looking for. I might just have to sit tight and wait for the 13. The more I look for other cans the more money I'll be throwing away which could otherwise be put towards a nice amp and or dac for the 13. I've always wanted to try the k501 but ever since I started looking for...
Managed to audition a few of the cans today. The grado sound is defnitely different from what I'm used to. The sr60 was quite colored to my ears. The mid range was very forward relative to the rest of the spectrum. This made trumpets and saxes sound too forward and a little painful at times. Not as bad as the 7506 but still enough to bother me for a short audition. I dontthink I could live with this issue when listening for longer periods as I usually do. Moving up the...
I sold my ESW10 today to fund my JH13. I'm crying already =( Damn, I loved those cans =(   I'm currently in the process of building/buying some speakers since I'll be moving to a bigger place that will allow me this luxury. (Low budget options: Audioengine A5 + S8, Triangle Titus XS + budget integrated/pre+power amp, High budget: DIY Linkwitz Pluto if my room has enough space, speaking to a builder, will have to see how this goes)   Since I have no cans with me...
Jyle! What about building your home rig around the JH13 instead?    I haven't auditioned the higher end cans (T1, HD800, Stax O2 etc) but from what I've been reading to make a sonic leap from the JH13 your only option might be the O2 or the HD800 possibly. Not too sure gotta hear from the gurus around here. But for FWIW I think you should consider building a home rig for your JH13. Then I can decide if I want to as well    I see you've sold you're T1 on the Jaben...
Quote: Originally Posted by Mindblock One thing I have learned in life is that statements of absolutes are ALWAYS WRONG !! You, my dear friend, just made an absolute statement
Another jazz fiend! Right now I'm using the ESW10JPN. It's a wonderful can, but its well above your budget even if you can find one. Since portability is not an issue, I'd second the recommendation for the HD600. The DT880 was nice, but can be a problem with bright recordings (most of the 50's,60's bop out there is kinda bright thanks to RVG and co.). I imagine the K701/2 would be good, but I've only listened to them briefly so I can't say much about them. All the cans...