Posts by calaf

did anyone hear this at the show? http://www.audiostream.com/content/marantz-hd-dac1   It looks gorgeous, and it is priced rather reasonably...
Peace indeed! Guys, we are hobbists, not professional reviewers and are perfectly entitled to trash a headphone we do not like whenever we feel like it...I found the post from the Pendulumic rep and the subsequent mobbing of @Asr, polite in form, but substantially more off-color than the "scam" remark Asr made in his post. I know Asr since almost 10 years (scary!) and I am sure he listened to the Pendulimic very carefully before expressing his opinion (which I happen to...
I would say mixed. It is a very exciting headphone, particularly now that I drive it from speaker taps. The tight bass and "just right" mids make it ideal to listen to vocals and piano, Compared to the T1 (and to my KEF speakers) its treble may be slightly rolled off and, perhaps because of that, it is not the ultimate headphone if you like to hear individual instruments "etched" in space and well-separated from each other. Also it is heavy, so you won't be able to listen...
Hey guys, this was an interesting thread before you derailed it, why don't you take your fascinating discussion offline?
to the OP question, I owned the original K701 when l was listening almost exclusively to classical and I found them superior to the Senns HD600 in terms of imaging, which is very important for orchestral music, but too dry in the mids. The HD600 would be my choice for vocal or piano music, while the K7xx for orchestral and strings in general. I have never heard the Shures   Having said that I would not recommend either for "Classical Only". The best "Classical Only"...
coming back from a few weeks of travel, this morning I turned on my office rig to listen to some Bruckner according to Stereophile this was Abbado's last live performance and all I can say is that he went with a bang - a wisely textured, lovingly recorded, emotional explosion of a performance.
harpsichordzilla  While looking unsuccessfully for a well-recorded harpsichord (this sounds very good http://youtu.be/PL7jIK5wNk4?t=8m30s but it is the solo of Bach Brandenburg 5 so it does not really count) I came across this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAckPiDYxRWengUlRujs6Q of Bach music performed against scrolling sheet music. Great stuff!
 I am still halfway my first listen (on spotify) and I agree with your assessment: this is a lively, very personal reading of the Goldberg. I hear a lot of freedom in the accents ( with e.g. more than a hint of syncopation in the first variation!) and a staccato touch throughut, perhaps tipping the hat to the original cembalo sound. Good stuff, thanks!
the digitaldreamdoor list is not too bad. Only objection that I would raise is the bias toward late-romantic heavy orchestral work which is (sadly) in line with what we get to hear in concert halls stateside. What I found really controversial is the "listlet" of the "Top 25 conductors" which is topped by Karajan (of all people!) and includes bores like Ormandy, Davis, Haitink, and Levine (plus a handful of journeymen at the bottom), leaving out  masters like Toscanini,...
Sold! To the gentleman on the left. Next item: a Meier Audio Classic...   Seriously, thanks for all the interest folks