Posts by calaf

harpsichordzilla  While looking unsuccessfully for a well-recorded harpsichord (this sounds very good http://youtu.be/PL7jIK5wNk4?t=8m30s but it is the solo of Bach Brandenburg 5 so it does not really count) I came across this youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNAckPiDYxRWengUlRujs6Q of Bach music performed against scrolling sheet music. Great stuff!
 I am still halfway my first listen (on spotify) and I agree with your assessment: this is a lively, very personal reading of the Goldberg. I hear a lot of freedom in the accents ( with e.g. more than a hint of syncopation in the first variation!) and a staccato touch throughut, perhaps tipping the hat to the original cembalo sound. Good stuff, thanks!
the digitaldreamdoor list is not too bad. Only objection that I would raise is the bias toward late-romantic heavy orchestral work which is (sadly) in line with what we get to hear in concert halls stateside. What I found really controversial is the "listlet" of the "Top 25 conductors" which is topped by Karajan (of all people!) and includes bores like Ormandy, Davis, Haitink, and Levine (plus a handful of journeymen at the bottom), leaving out  masters like Toscanini,...
Sold! To the gentleman on the left. Next item: a Meier Audio Classic...   Seriously, thanks for all the interest folks
the funny thing with the Golden Ears test is that during the training stage (when you know what you are listening to) I could clearly hear, say, the grainy treble of the 160Kbs MP3 (not to mention the 128 Kbs). The problem arose when the real test started and I was asked to tell which was which.same here: in spite of the Golden Ear test, 99.9% of the music I own is CD quality (or vinyl...). The test convinced me that high-rez, bitrates and all that jazz are not that...
forget flac and hi-rez flac: when I did the Philips Golden Ear test I found out that I absolutely can not tell the difference between 160Kb/s mp3 and the uncompressed original, and that it took my best equipment and concentration to reliably distinguish 128Kb/s from the original. I was depressed for a while, then rejoiced at the thought that I can safely give DSD DACs, HDTracks, and the like a pass, and save a boatload of money :-)
I am listening to this on spotify right now. I disagree with you: the sound quality is not remarkable, it is outstanding, even by Alia Vox standards! And, as always with Savall, the performance is just right. I ordered the CD on the spot, thanks for the tip!
thanks for all the interest! In response to a number of queries:   I am not interested in trades at this time.   I am open to international sales with buyer paying $800 + actual shipping cost, with tracking and insurance for $770. If the shipping cost exceeds $75 I would not be able to accept any returns and would sell the amp AS IS. Of course in case of shipping damage I would refund the buyer any moneys I should receive from USPS.
check out Andreas Staier's recordings (there is a double HM Gold CD which contains K330-332 among others). You may even change your mind about Mozart on fortepiano...
oh yeah! That's a sweet sounding recording, played a lot in my office rig...