Posts by calaf

oh yeah! That's a sweet sounding recording, played a lot in my office rig...
joining the thread late, sorry.  First time I volunteered for a meet, it was *really* fun: lots of chatting and smooth sailing, thanks to the amazing prep work of our Great Organizers, @warrenpchi and @third_eye! I was impressed by the array of exhibitors (new and old) they managed to lure, felt like being at a major trade show! I hope next time we will have more headfi-ers bringing their rigs: new toys are great, but only a system like this   assembled with love and...
if you want to put something on my table, I should have space for your gear as long as it isn't a Woo 5 amp with an Esoteric Dual Mono DAC...  ... come to think about it, I'd love to hear that combo ;-)
I am selling my beloved 4-years-old Woo Audio 6 SE. It is in 9/10 conditions (see pics). It comes with the original tubes plus Sophia Princess rectifier tube Matched pair of 6GL7/6EM7 with teflon adapter  (see Drive/Power tube option 1 @ http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6se.html) Matched pair of 6EW7 (see Drive/Power tube option 3 @ http://wooaudio.com/products/wa6se.html) At my asking price I will include shipping to Continental USA, paypal fees, and a good...
your report was deeper and better organized than most trade-shows articles your read on Stereophile and other audio-mags. Very impressive!
another IC here:  sooner or later I'll have to sell my beloved Woo Audio SE since next year I will move to one of those terrible open-space office buildings. Since I am bringing the amp to the meet, I might as well put it up for sale if someone is interested...
mbhaub makes an excellent point.  Another obvious one is that most headfi members hail from the US. There is an excellent book by Joseph Horowitz about the trajectory of classical music in the US,  that discusses how Beethoven, Wagner, and Mahler came to dominate US classical music scene.  I am guessing that if we had more members from Europe we would read more about Haendel or Vivaldi, about Bach vocal masterpieces, Italian opera, etc, etc
I find Bernstein Brahms a bit plodding  and emotionally overripe , particularly in the Wiener Phil set mentioned above, but I can see how his approach may be attractive to those looking for a Romantic performance, and may find Toscanini or Szell too astringent. Carlos Kleiber was the one who got the perfect balance of emotion and drive but AFAIK only recorded Symphony no 4? Back to the OP question, there is a Bernstein boxset including the symphonies and violin concertos...
not quite what you ask but I'd recommend Toscanini for the symphonies, Gilels/Jochum for the Piano Concertos, and Mutter/Karajan for the Violin Concerto. I doubt any boxset can best these three combined (but I hope to learn about one!)
thanks for this thread: I had not listened to "Abbey Road" in a looong time. Gave it a good scrub, put it back on the TT and it is every bit as good and daring as I remembered it!