or Connect

Posts by calaf

I have heard an earlier version of your amp with my T1 and thought it was a great pairing for the music I was listening to back then (mainly baroque and classical with period instruments). I have always found the T1 a bit soulless with rock/soul/R&B. Only after pairing them to the Cavalli LC I convinced myself the T1 can play everything as well or better than the HE500 does. The HE-6 is a superior headphone that is rather difficult to actually enjoy. Maybe the Grace has...
as a long-term fan of all three headphones, I am not sure either the T1 or the HE-6 would be an upgrade given the character of Grace Design amps. What music do you listen to?
I have posted earlier in this thread about the Cavalli Liquid Carbon as a SS amp for the T1. I doubt you can find a significantly better sounding combination below $2000.  The thing I like best about the T1, particularly when driven by the LC, is that you can play anything "from Beethoven to Jay-z" to quote my favourite review of the T1 and it will sound just right. Not "great", not "wow!", just right.
google is your friend http://tactiontechnology.com/?page_id=270
NIN - Hurt (High-res) Johnny Cash - Hurt (CD Quality) Daft Punk - Lose Yourself to Dance (High-res) Daft Punk - Get Lucky (High-res) Johnny Cash - Personal Jesus (CD quality)   interesting choice of tracks to review the ultimate headphone...
you can also use the samples provided by Philips as part of their Golden Ears challenge.  That was an interesting (and humbling) experience for me and my rig.
we have mentioned Strawinsky Rite of Spring a few times already in this thread, but I was really thrilled by this "all Strawinsky" concert https://www.digitalconcerthall.com/en/concert/23081 which is streaming for free ATM.   This is an exciting performance from the opening Petruska to the two bis which Dudamel and his Simon Bolivar orchestra conceded. I have seen quite a few concerts at the Berliner hall (only in streaming sadly) and, with the exception of the final...
that is a very interesting observation. I would agree that opera up until early Mozart was steeped into a court culture alien to most of us. But then audiences changed. You can follow a pot-boiler lineage from "Cosi' fan tutte" to Donizetti, Verdi, Wagner, Puccini, and finally Hollywood.
time to learn Italian (and German, French, Russian,...)
this recording was included in the 2016 Stereophile list of "Recordings to Die for".  Simon Boccanegra is not Verdi best opera, far from that, but this CDs may be Verdi best performance captured on disk. Renato Cappuccilli in the title role, Mirella Freni as her daughter, and Nicolai Ghiaurov as his enemy are all at their best. The Orchestra della Scala plays Verdi as they do when they care, in other words better than anyone. Here they care because Abbado is directing....