Posts by calaf

yes, something about the thread derailing. But it's back on track...
+1 (welcome back @Tyson!)Great presence and detail help appreciate Tokyo stilish playing. The Razumovskys alone are worth the $25-30 this set sells for ($3/SACD! Good times to be a record collector...)
I am interested. I have been around head-fi for a while, have an extensive library of reference quality recordings, and eclectic musical tastes. My current setups are listed in my signature.
has this really turned into a Bach vs Beethoven thread? Too bad, unsubscribing...
hey guys, over the last three years this thread has become one of the places I come when I am looking for music to listen to. Now I fear that, like all classic head-fi threads, is at risk of turning into a conversation among old friends. Nothing wrong with that, but I'd rather keep it as a great place to find new music to listen to.   In that spirit, let me throw in  a recommendation for what I consider, by far, the best Parsifal recording out there   I could start...
I guess it all depends what we grew up on. To this day I have a soft spot for DGG laid back sound, but I am extremely annoyed by the over-engineering of their modern releases. I also agree that Living Stereo sounds a touch too "hot" on modern equipment. Not sure modern equipment is at fault though, I own a lot of recordings that sound perfectly balanced on my rig. I am sure Living Stereo engineers were optimizing their sound for the best HiFi rigs of the 50s and 60s.
honestly I had no idea, but since you asked, that is what I found in a review Kopatchinskaja also plays herown arrangements of Beethoven’soriginal cadenzas written for hispiano arrangement of the samework
do we really need another recording of Beethoven Violin Concerto? Yes! This one   Last year I raved about Patricia Kopatchinskaja (and Peter Eotvos!) wonderful recording of a trio of Hungarian violin concertos from Bartok, Eotvos, and Ligeti, and said that her terse violing playing was perfect for contemporary music. Her playing seems to work with Beethoven romantic music as well! She does not have the beautiful sweet sound that, for example, Hahn produces in her...
here is a classy looking boxset 64 CDs from my favourite orchestra, the Wiener Philarmoniker. $134 on amazon. Tempting, in spite of what I was writing about boxsets a few posts above!
 of course if streaming is not an option in your country boxsets are a  great value! I believe music companies have seen the writing on the wall, and are trying to push the last CDs out before the medium is dead and buried. BTW, the same thing is  beginning to happen with SACDs that are down to less than $10/disk. I am sure in 3 years they will also be at the $/disk level to fight hi-res streaming offerings. Think about it: you say that spotify is unlikely to ever stream...