Posts by calaf

here is a classy looking boxset 64 CDs from my favourite orchestra, the Wiener Philarmoniker. $134 on amazon. Tempting, in spite of what I was writing about boxsets a few posts above!
 of course if streaming is not an option in your country boxsets are a  great value! I believe music companies have seen the writing on the wall, and are trying to push the last CDs out before the medium is dead and buried. BTW, the same thing is  beginning to happen with SACDs that are down to less than $10/disk. I am sure in 3 years they will also be at the $/disk level to fight hi-res streaming offerings. Think about it: you say that spotify is unlikely to ever stream...
I have bought many  $/disk boxsets over the last few years, and I have spent way too many hours ripping the CDs to flac. I am not sure that in the era of Tidal and (soon enough) spotify lossless streaming these boxes still make sense: with their skimpy or non-existing extras they offer basically no added value.  These days pretty much the only shiny disks I am buying are either HI-DEF formats (SACDs, bluray audio, HDCDs) or special editions that have worthwile bonus...
my first Quattro Stagioni! I still own the LP and occasionally put it on for old times sake, but I can't say it has aged well. Schwalbe is good in his solos but HvK smothers Vivaldi in gobs of sweet sounding molasses. Also the engineering is off: narrow sounding and unfocused, a killer for Baroque music where instrument separation is key. I can't comment on the Corelli since it's not on the LP. There is a lot of good Quattro Stagioni recordings around (Biondi/Europa...
yes I did, because I immediately googled for Sony PCM-F1 and I read it was a combined ADC/DAC designed to be interfaced to a Betamax tape recorder! If you hear Reference Recordings HDCDs he mastered it is obvious that he found a good cure to the "massed string sound". And yet after having had the pleasure to listen to master tape copies (ironbut brought his wonderful reel to reel rig to a few NorCal meets and  I believe sourced his tapes from here...
http://www.stereophile.com/content/keith-o-johnson-reference-recordings you won't find any diatribe about formats or sampling rates in here, but a lot of insight on what goes into making a reference recording and what gets lost in the process of releasing it commercially     Couple of quotes to whet your appetite   And one of the biggest frustrations is, here we have master tape that has been recorded to the highest standards we can achieve, and then we go to the...
the Solti Ring has just been reissued as a single Bluray Audio whatever one thinks of the merits of HiRes audio vs Redbook (and in any case this is "only" a 24bit/48KHz recording), there is something to be said for releasing the most monumental music recording ever as a single 5" disc!  Price is reasonable (~$60) and the booklet (more like a book) looks very attractive so I ordered one.   I am sure in 50 years it will be a great find for some hipster sifting through...
+1... I am also a big fan. Thanks for the pointer, worth checking the rest as well. Heading off to spotify!
FWIW I tried a few times the BDP105 headamp with HE-500 and was disappointed: compared to driving the HE500 from speaker taps, and from a Meier Classic, the Oppo headamp sounded lifeless with a flat and narrow soundstage ("in your head" as they say). It works rather better with 600 Ohm dynamic headphones, particularly with my old AKG K340, but if I were you I would not sell my headamp just yet... And BTW, I love my BDP105: gorgeous build, well-designed (if a bit sluggish)...
it's a good 1940 recording, you can judge for yourselfhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZG2iKESTLksince youtube streaming quality is not really an issue here...