Posts by Erukian

Jason, FYI, if I click on the Bifrost link in the NYT article it leads to a dead end page.
The nexus 5 reminds me of what onboard PC audio used to sound like 10 years ago, I doubt any amount of kernel hacks will make this baby sing.      Does anyone know how it compares to the 2013 Nexus 7?
Besides Gungnir's extra 'features' like adapticlock for using crappy sources and being fully hardware balanced, are these two Dac's mostly the same?   I have the Gungnir myself but i'm recommending a DAC to a friend who's building a headphone rig. If a bifrost gets him 90% of the way there for half the cost then I feel like that's a no-brainer. 
Almost makes me consider the fazor upgrade now, little bit better sound, little more comfort...
I've owned mine for 6 months as well. For me, the iPhone 5S is the most detailed/transparent output from a phone i've personally ever heard. I'm very happy with using it to drive my IEM's and never need to crank it up past 60% or so even when on a flight. Plenty of power, plenty of detail, the only criticism I can think of is it can sound a bit analytical sometimes and lacking in warmth, but that's me being super nitpicky and I'm comparing it against my Schiit...
That's a good question, I hope someone who understands some of the technicalities between these two DAC's can jump in.
I'd agree with this. The Gun+Mjo combo with the LCD-2 is the sweet spot for me. I get a TON of detail out and energy out of the setup which is nice for the LCD-2 which has a dark-ish personality, especially when compared to it's nearest competitor the HD-800 without any of the grating and kind of uncomfortable transparency of the HD-800's. I think Gun+Mjo swings the LCD-2 from a dark headphone to a neutral headphone that lets the record speak for itself, whether it's some...
Do you honestly need that extra volume? I can understand if you have hearing damage but anything above 75% is freakishly loud on any of my cans with the 5S. I'm just trying to understand why someone would need to remove said cap.
 I returned my nexus 5 because the camera experience sucked for me (was great in low light though) and the audio sounded lifeless. Google/LG had to make some cuts to the cost of the device to hit that $350 price point, and I'm pretty sure high quality audio was on the chopping block, despite it's ability to play higher resolution files. FWIW, the consensus on the iPhone 5S (which I bought after returning the nexus 5) is that it's not as loud as the 4S (like a 4s turned...
 I wouldn't buy the mjolnir with the intent of using it as a balanced passive pre, it's primary job is to be a kickass headphone amplifier first, the fact it has balanced pre-outs is a bonus. It uses a high quality pot so I don't think you'd notice much difference. Just my two cents.