Posts by MagnumOrpheus

What you consider 'bright' might actually be a more accurate reproduction of the original signal. Or it might be your headphones. I have the Auditor myself, and I find it to be very accurate, transparent and neutral.   Zombie_x wrote this earlier (my emphasis):   "The B22 on the other hand seems to have slightly rolled treble, at least on the unit I heard. For the B22 it depends on what parts are used and how the amp is set-up."   I think this is an important point,...
    That's odd. My HD800's have completely smooth surfaces. The bubbles look like some sort of production fault.  
Quote: Originally Posted by Yikes Please understand that "sort of sucked" is a subjective term. My reference point is very high and I'm very picky. Even after my imagined break-in the Oppo 83SE still wasn't good enough to be the source in my main system, hence the sending it to Exemplar for modification. Given the long pause between listening sessions (150 hour intervals), the accuracy of your aural memory could also be a major factor here...
Quote: Originally Posted by Yikes Fine, you believe what you want. You obviously didn't read, or comprehend how I broke it in. I DID NOT LISTEN TO IT WHILE IT WAS BREAKING IN. I do understand what you're saying, it's just that I think it has more to do with perception. If you believe in break-in, then you might also believe that after X hours your CD-player will sound better, even if it doesn't (that's why I mentioned the placebo effect). I'm...
Quote: Originally Posted by Yikes I have the 83SE (Well actually it's at Exemplar being modified right now) and when I first hooked it up it didn't impress. It sounded thin and overly aggressive. After a couple of discs I decided to burn it in (New it was unacceptable), so I inserted my XLO Burn in disc and put it on Repeat for a week without listening to it. ... It was decidedly not me acclimating to the Oppo's sound. And how can you be so...
Quote: Originally Posted by kool bubba ice So burn in is a must with the 83SE? Cause I am impressed out of the box, but was expecting better.. No, I personally don't think burn-in is necessary for the 83SE. I think it has more to do with getting adjusted to the sound. The 83SE sounds the same as it did when I first got it. However, some warm-up time might not be a bad idea.
Quote: Originally Posted by Welly Wu It made the March 2010 Stereophile Class A list for the stock version. This is incorrect. First of all, the issue we're talking about is the April 2010 issue ("Recommended components"). Second: The stock version made it to the class B list, while the SE version made it to class A. Quote: Still, the NuForce NE-BDP-83SE is the very best universal player priced under $1,500 USD and the Oppo...
Quote: Originally Posted by Gugu But if this is a real Media Transport, which gets the digital music data (in my case Apple Lossless) from the iPod/iPhone, than why on Earth has the EQ setting any influence on the sound quality !? I would be very pissed, if this is only an analog dock, which uses a Analog to Digital converter to put out digital signal, because it wasn't described/advertised this way. First of all, I don't think Onkyo is...
Quote: Originally Posted by Vinnie R. Hi Guys, Just like with the Wadia iTransport, the Onkyo ND-S1 gives full functionality (full navigation of your music via the click wheel, etc.) starting with 6th gen iPods. Seems to work fine with the "iPod classic", iPhone, iPod Touch, newer Nanos, etc. Thanks for the info, fortunately I have an iPod 160 GB (Classic, I think). I've now purchased the Onkyo and the click wheel works fine during playback.
Sounds great, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you for helping me out.