Posts by Skavoovie

I know it's blasphemy here, but I think the subjectivists might be on to something with HE-6 based on their anecdotal power observations along with Innerfidelity measurements. I agree that a large power reserve that is never used should have no positive sound contribution. However, if you use the Hifiman spec (83.5dB/mW), yes, 10W seems quite excessive (123.5dB SPL).  But if you calculate sensitivity from the Innerfidelity measurements, you get around 77dB/mW.  Then you...
For what it's worth, based on Tyll's measurements, HE-6 sensitivity (at least his measured example) seems to be more in the 77dB/mW range.
Search "thunderpants", but make sure you do a lot reading about them. 
Look up: "WAU16-400".  Mouser links sometimes break, but it's the first google result at the moment.     It is the 16VAC/400mA transformer originally specified for use with "low impedance power hungry cans" in the O2 documentation vs. the cheaper 12VAC/200mA transformer (WAU12-200) most of the commercial builders sell. Some people have gotten even more powerful models(max of 20VAC and whatever current rating you can find), but WAU16-400 has seemed plenty good for me with...
It's probably only available through electronic supply houses (Mouser, Allied, Newark, etc).  The first google hit is Mouser.  The O2 Details page lists some other alternative ones too that might be available elsewhere.  Mouser is usually cheapest (even with shipping) when it comes to buying single DIY-type electronic parts.   Hitting the power limit is often described as "flat" or "boring", so maybe that is what you're hearing.  I know many people seem to think the...
I posted in a response in the massive MD thread, but that'll get buried, so here:   If your HRT Music Streamer ii+ is anything like the non-plus version, it puts out 2.25Vrms. On AC power, the O2's maximum gain = 7 / Vinput.  So a gain above ~3.1x is going to overload the input and clip.  The default gains from JDS (and most anywhere else) are usually set to 2.5x and 6.5x.  So high gain will definitely distort.  An O2 definitely gives you enough rope to hang yourself...
If your HRT Music Streamer ii+ is anything like the non-plus version, it puts out 2.25Vrms. On AC power, the O2's maximum gain = 7 / Vinput.  So a gain above ~3.1x is going to overload the input and clip.  The default gains from JDS (and most anywhere else) are usually set to 2.5x and 6.5x.  So high gain will definitely distort.  An O2 definitely gives you enough rope to hang yourself with.  Now as to why 2.5x gain isn't enough, next question... JDS ships the WAU12-200...
Thanks for the sensitivity guess. Audioholics posted an interesting article on loudspeaker sensitivity specifications and measurements recently: http://www.audioholics.com/education/loudspeaker-basics/loudspeaker-sensitivity   They recommend using an averaged sweep from 300Hz to 3kHz (same as the National Research Council of Canada).   I wonder what other headphone manufacturers do for their numbers...
Objectively, I can't find the sensitivity spec on the MD website anymore, but I recall it being 92dB/mW back in the 840 pad days.  Extrapolating Tyll's MD power measurements for 90dB (0.52mW) gives me 92.84dB/mW.   Please correct me, Dan.
I've gotten about a dozen announcements/tests today so far from MrSpeakers.  I love the MDs, but I don't need to be told this many times.