Posts by Judge Buff

Make new friends, but keep the old...    The first is silver; the latter - gold. What to do, what to do???
Works great with my iPhone 5. No amp is needed, but I use one with my Zune 30. Choice of tip has an effect on sibilance. A larger tip opening lessens sibilance noticeably. I love mine...
This person knows whereof he speaks... The beauty of these Indeeds and Bravos IS that they cost pocket change and are EASY to mod! Little changes pay big dividends in sound quality. If I paid $200+ for a Sunrise Whatever, after my wife beat me half to death for spending $200+, I'd still look for mods to make on it. My G2 FrankenAmp sounds amazing. I paid $110 (I think) for two of them without tubes and only one PS. I still haven't modded one of them and I also have a G3...
Hahahahaha! UMBK, great shot! You must have sunk him, because there isn't even an oil slick left...
PM sent...
Mine can't stand our 2.4 GHz cordless phones!
 RCA black plates and clear tops. Both are awesome and can be gotten inexpensively.
Microphonic tubes happen. I have a couple of great tubes that are horrendously microphonic. Tube dampeners may.help. Emphasis on the may. They helped one of mine enough that it's usable, but the other is still too microphonic for me... Don't hesitate, Ev, about throwing a Voskhod in the amp. My crystal ball says you have no chance of finding a microphonic 6n23p from Voskhod. They are great musical tubes, but will be crisper than the BBs with tighter bass and more...
Everyone that responds to you will probably tell you something different, but this is what I consider the best low cost mods that are easy and have very positive sonic effects:1. Replace the caps with the highest audio grade caps you can buy/fit for the radial electrolytics and Wima or equivalent for the film caps. Know your size constraints; especially diameter. Height considerations can be ameliorated by using extra/longer posts. Increase the capacitance of the PS cap to...
My current modded FrankenAmp is a G2. It's an ugly babe and I've decided not to change anything on it, unless I must replace a component. I do have a trim pot that's a little funky...   I have another G2 that's a virgin. Never been used or even had a tube in it. I may mod it as soon as I redo my electronics workbench. I have my FrankenAmp as a guide, but I am going to play with cap values and types on it.   My new G3 will be modded down the road; this fall probably, or...