Posts by albau

Need your help guys. Title I think says it all but here are more details. I need the phones as a gift to my lady friend so it's desirable that phones don't look especially ugly or dorky or uncomfortable (which I think leaves Grados out). IEMs or over the ear phones are also out of question since she hates sticking things deep into her ears or cover them. She drives her buds from iPhone and desktop PC, she won't use headamp. Deep isolation isn't important since she doesn't...
I have and immensely enjoy my W4s for several years and it never crossed my mind (ears?) that there's mid bass hump problem. You sure you aren't talking about W3s or, god forbid, something like HJE-900? I understand how somebody used to Etys or other analytyical phones may feel that W4s have somewhat subdued highs but mid bass hump? As a problem to correct with some impedance adapter? Seems like urban myth or sonic snobbery.
For stock player it helps somewhat because Google's EQ implementation is simply atrocious. At least through my Westone W4s and Grados SR-125 Razr M headphone out sounds real bad (flat, congested, veiled, noisy) through any player I tried other than Neutron. Every time I try to switch to something like PowerAmp I'm amazed at the magic Neutron pulls out provided you enable 64-bit rendering, randomization and let it control gain plus lift lows and highs a tiny bit via EQ....
Rooting by itself won't change Neutron's sound not speaking of UI. But if thanks to being rooted you install custom ROM or custom Linux kernel with audio specific patches (like Voodoo) sound may (or may not) change. This would apply not just to Neutron but to any other player as well. Neutron's atrocious UI I'm afraid can be cured only by developers or by somebody hacking out Neutron's rendering engine and sticking it into some new UI. Rooting has nothing to do with it.
After few months and using Neutron as a player I sorta made peace with Razor M's headphone out. Especially after recent updates Neutron really put a lipstick on a pig to the point where my Westone 4 now sound almost like they used to on iPhone 4. Granted we compare here sound salvaged by heavy processing voodoo, EQ and Neutron wizardry against stock un-EQed iOS player but still. It's enough to switch briefly to PowerAmp to appreciate hugely what Neutron does with lousy...
Just to warn people not to put too much trust into somebody's else experience/advice with tips. It's all extremely subjective and depends 95% upon each particular person's ear physique and hearing not speaking of type of music they listen too and their sonic preferences. With 4s which have short stems there's especially can't be some magical tip and/or mod that works for most people most of the time. For example, I love 4s to death but the only tip I found that gets for me...
FYI, in another thread somebody mentioned that Razors have high impedance greater than 10 ohm. That basically screws balanced armature headphones like my 4s which may explain my experience. Dynamic phones should be ok. My Panama HJE900 indeed sound quite the same as on iPhone 4.
Hmm, interesting... Why would Moto shut out armature phones. Just because most cheap buds and IEMs used by the general public are dynamic? In any case I guess your explanation makes sense since I was wondering why my Pana HJE-900 (which I totally stopped using after getting W4s 2 years ago) sound on Razr M more or less same as on IP4.
At least Westone 4s on my Droid Razr M with Neutron on defaults (with 64-bit processing enabled) sound hands down better than PowerAmp no matter how I tweak EQ and tone.Granted in anything other than SQ Neutron is way worse. Imagine PowerAmp using Neutron's sound rendering engine. Not gonna happen ;( Compared to my prior iPhone4 Razr M's built-in headphone out s*cks big time and does a huge disservice to W4s, I think it simply doesn't have enough power to drive the phones...
It's a nice phone especially for the price. Well made, up to date specs, edge-to-edge 4.3" screen, great battery life, fast, ICS, small, light, thin. I got it not because of the price but because currently it's the only Verizon 4G smartphone (except for iPhone5) that meets my requirements - it's pocketable as opposed to the current Android craze of bigger is better and it's a world phone with potentially unlockable SIM card (necessity since I frequently travel to...