Posts by one-eyed-xander

After a few weeks with the 315s, I agree that they are not an improvement over the 215s in terms of sound quality.   In some ways I think I actually prefer the 215 sound, but there's not much in it. Certainly don't pay the extra money for the 315s.
Pending sale...
  Here's my current setup. 2008 Mac Pro (not pictured obv) optical out into the NuForce Icon HDP. Then via some crappy interconnects into the Emotiva Mini-X. Home-made speaker taps into a female 1/4" jack, then stock cables to HE-500.   The HE-500 is resting on my home-made (actually kit-built) speakers. These are normally driven by a Lepai 2020+ but I haven't got them hooked up yet since getting the Emotiva.   I like home-made stuff - plan on doing more. Those...
Not quite sure why there is such resistance to this upgrade. Perhaps people were expecting there to be a balanced output included in the existing Pulse? I also had this expectation, but it was based on the assumption that it could be done cheaply, given the existing capability of the ES9018M. Maybe I was wrong in this assumption.   Anyway: a dual mono implementation has the potential of sounding much much better, and a $140 upgrade is easily justifiable.   I'll be...
Yeah no probs, that's why they call it the "introductions, help and recommendations" forum :)   The crackling you are hearing is possibly what is known as 'sibilance' and it's definitely not what you want to hear.   Another question - with your walk around campus do you really need isolation or not? If you want to block out everything else and just hear the music, maybe you want some IEMs. If it's not too bad, then you have other options.
Portable? Home? Open? Closed?   At 150-200 you have quite a few options, but we need to nail it down according to your normal listening situation.
I bought these new in '08, and they have served me well. I'm wanting something a bit more portable for travel use, so I'm parting with these.   They are completely unmodified, including stock cable and cups.   I have tried to look after them well, but inevitably there is some wear and tear. The main thing to notice is a small scratch on the right cup, and some very minor scratching on the left bracket. The headband is also quite worn underneath.   Overall I would...
The 2 year warranty on these is great.   My 215s had developed an intermittent connection problem in the left earpiece. Swapping cables, and swapping L/R didn't help, so I sent them in for warranty service. I had purchased them form earphone solutions just over a year ago.   I wasn't expecting much, probably they would be returned as 'no fault found' or similar. In any case I had gotten lots of good daily use out of them, and I was quite prepared to replace them if...
Well I haven't heard the Xonar STX but I would be very surprised if you couldn't upgrade to something vastly superior in a single-ended configuration for a very modest outlay. I imagine the Bifrost/Asgard combo would be perfect.   The thing to remember about headphone kit is that it generally keeps its resale value. So the Bifrost/Asgard you buy now will be easily resalable in a few months time, when you decide to upgrade. You don't have to go for the End Game LCD-3s...
Like you I registered on head-fi almost 10 years ago, when the D2000s were really the flavor of the month! It's gratifying to think that they really have stood the test of time.   I bought the D2000s back in the day, and then upgraded to the D5000s. It was, to be honest, a fairly modest upgrade. But they still are a great sounding headphone.   At a recent meet I heard the Fostex TH-900s and they are quite clearly the logical successor to the original Dx000 series,...