For how to use the classifieds, see this page: http://www.head-fi.org/a/for-sale-and-trade-forums-faq
The "Buy, Sell, Trade" portion of this site is a private forum for members who have been registered for 30 days AND have made at least 15 posts on the forums. Use of this area is at your own risk. The use of the classified system is a privilege and not a right. Head-Fi reserves the right to close, edit or delete any classified as the moderators and admins see fit. Head-Fi also reserves the right to alter the requirements for posting a classified for any member or group of members at any time.
Classified access can be removed. Creating a second account to try and manipulate sales, evade removed access or get around negative feedback received will result in an immediate, permanent and irrevocable ban from the site.
Head-Fi and Huddler Inc. (hereafter "We") do not monitor the postings on the site for accuracy or reliability, and makes no warranty as to the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on the site. We do not guarantee or have information regarding the quality of any of the products bought or traded or acquired through the Classified area. The choice to participate, the terms of any transaction and the outcome are solely your responsibility. Deals are made solely between members and we not liable for any any loss or damage, including but not limited to no payment, not receiving item, personal injury, death, or any other negative outcome, resulting from use of the Buy, Sell, Trade forums or bought/traded items. We are not responsible and will not compensate any participants in any way for trades conducted by other Head-Fi Classified participants and will not deliver transacted products. While we encourage equitable sales and trading, we have no responsibility for the fairness or completion of any transaction.
The purpose of the classifieds is for active members to buy and sell privately-owned audio gear (though other equipment, where legal, is OK) for private, non-commercial use and not for re-sale.
1. Please post only one classified for any individual item.
Likewise, don't give your Paypal email address to more than one person at the same time. Asking for payment for an item from multiple people at the same time is fraud! If multiple people pay and Paypal receives a complaint, your account will be locked and even if everything is resolved, there will be considerable delays in receiving payments in the future. We may also ban your Head-Fi account.
2. Auctions are not allowed.
Members want to buy your gear, not fight for it. Please use eBay or Audiogon if you want to auction your gear.
Commercial sales and "Flipping"
3. The classifieds are for personal, non-commercial non-profit sales.
Buying and selling items on the forums for the express purpose of making a profit is not allowed. Buying an item to immediately resell at a profit is known as "flipping." People found to be using the forums or private messaging system for this purpose may have their account banned. Likewise, DIY items cannot be sold at greater than the cost of parts (and shipping), as doing so would make the DIY'er a Member of the Trade and subject to the rules as stated in the Terms of Service.
However, items purchased some months or years prior to the sale for private use, the market value for which has changed, can be sold at their current market value. Examples of this would be the AKG K1000, vintage Grados such as the HP-1000/HP-2, the Stax Omega I, Sony R-10 and Qualia 010. However, items sold in discount sales, such as Amazon specials, cannot be sold at market value immediately afterwards, as this is definitely flipping.
Members of the Trade cannot use the classifieds to sell items which are or include items connected with those they normally make or sell under any circumstances (even if at a loss). Eg: A cable maker cannot sell headphones that have been re-wired by them and an amp builder cannot sell amps or spare parts for amps they make, etc. Any MOT who wishes to sell an item whom is unsure as to whether they are allowed to sell something should first contact a moderator to check.
4. Products that are of dubious legality cannot be sold or traded on the forums, such as computers, hard drives or DAPs loaded with music.
5. Crowdfunded products (eg: Those from Kickstarter and Indiegogo) can only be sold if they are physically in your possession. You cannot sell your pledge.
Crowd-funded products have a high failure rate. We don't want to see the disaster that would ensure if a bunch of people had sold products they had pledged for that didn't end up getting made. Not to mention that attempting to "sell" a product which is effectively an un-guaranteed gift from a donation is of dubious legality.
Review samples and accommodation purchased items.
6. Items received for free for reviews posted on Head-Fi CANNOT be sold or traded ANYWHERE, period.
7. Accommodation purchases, that is, items sent for review on Head-Fi but then sold afterwards to the reviewer at an "accommodation price" CANNOT be sold at a higher price than was paid for the item.
Doing either is highly unethical and a serious abuse of your membership here and, not to mention, a serious abuse of the manufacturers. Not to mention, no member that does not have an official review tag and/or is formally listed as a reviewer can call themselves as such here. Using the classifieds or Head-Fi to make a profit comes under the same rules those for Members of the Trade and abuse is considered to be "flipping for profit" or shilling, depending on circumstances (eg: Telling a manufacturer you'll post a positive review if you can get the item for free or at a discount). Members found to be using the classifieds and/or review system to profit from review items, even if the items were sold or traded elsewhere, may have ALL their reviews deleted, access to the classifieds removed and/or will be banned.
8. Items received for free from a manufacturer can be given away.
9. DIY items strictly cannot be sold for more than the cost of parts and shipping.
If you are a DIY'er who feels they should be compensated for their time, then you fall under our rules for Members of the Trade and you should contact a moderator or administrator about it. However, if you fall under our MOT rules, you cannot use the classifieds to carry on a business.
The Classifieds are not discussion forums
9. The Classifieds are not discussion forums.
Please do NOT comment in the threads unless you are directly responding with an interest in making a transaction with the poster of the classified. If you wish to notify the poster of the classified of something, please send them a private message. If you believe that a classified should be brought to the attention of the moderators and/or admins, please click on the red flag bottom left of the original post and fill in the details with what you feel is inappropriate or suspicious about it.
Classified Access Removal
10. We reserve the right to remove the ability for individual members to post classifieds where we believe they have or may abuse them.
Feedback Rules & Guidelines
- By participating on this site, you agree to allow other users' to leave trader feedback for you, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Feedback should only be left based on a completed transaction in which payment and/or item has been sent. Feedback should not be left for any inquiries or exchanges where no goods or funds have passed between members. Eg: If a seller changes his mind about selling an item before money has been sent by the buyer, feedback cannot be left.
- Do not leave fake feedback for another member. This includes leaving false negative ratings for someone you don't like or shilling for friends. It is prohibited to exchange feedback for the sole purpose of increasing feedback scores or enhancing reputation.
- No individual is allowed to provide feedback on themselves. This includes creating multiple accounts with the intent of boosting your own rating. This will result in an immediate, permanent and irrevocable ban.
- Do not leave offensive feedback or feedback with inappropriate content in it.
- Retaliatory feedback is not permitted.
- No individual should use the trader feedback system as a threat. It is prohibited to use the feedback system as an attempt to get something that wasn't part of the original listing. Honest feedback should be given to those who deserve it, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Members cannot demand feedback. It is prohibited to include terms or conditions in a listing that require or restrict the buyer's right to leave feedback.
- Ratings and comments are generally a permanent part of a member's feedback history. However, we reserve the right to remove feedback where we have good reason to believe it breaks the rules above.
As well, prior to the introduction of this system, members may have a feedback thread in the Buyer/Seller Feedback Archive which people are encouraged to read first.
To protect yourself during transactions, there are a few precautions you should take. If you are a buyer, try to pay for your transactions through PayPal and use a credit card to make the payment. That way, if the transaction goes bad, you might be able to get a refund through PayPal or your credit card. If you are a seller, use PayPal, as well. It would also be wise to include insurance and/or delivery confirmation for the package. That will help protect you.
Using Paypal Gift to make a payment is a breach of the Paypal Terms of Service and leaves you NO protection.
Sending an item without registration (and without tracking), especially overseas, vastly increases the risk of the item being stolen by postal workers. We have had cases of headphones being stalled in customs in one country for a month, after which they arrived damaged. It was clear that workers had borrowed the headphones for that time before delivering them! Sending an item overseas without tracking (International Express/EMS, available in most countries, has tracking included to most destinations and has a reasonable cost) leaves you with essentially NO proof of delivery if a complaint is filed with Paypal.
Taking clear, detailed photographs of items immediately before they are shipped, including the way they were packed, as well as packing them very carefully in a box to allow for rough handling are both strongly recommended. Don't do stupid things such as sending headphones in a padded envelope! Assume that the postal workers will throw your box on and off trucks. In my experience, they tend to throw boxes harder that have "FRAGILE" stickers on them, so making your box look as boring as possible.
Also, check the article: Beware of scammers and people abusing the classifieds regularly for updates, as we have had a few serial abusers and even Nigerian scammers targeting our forums.
Credits to MacNN Forums from which these rules were partially derived.