Buy Sell Trade Rules
The "Buy, Sell, Trade" portion of this site is a private forum for members who have been registered for 30 days AND have made at least 15 posts on the forums. Use of this area is at your own risk. The use of the classified system is a privilege and not a right. Head-Fi reserves the right to close, edit or delete any classified as the moderators and admins see fit. Head-Fi also reserves the right to alter the requirements for posting a classified for any member or group of members at any time.
Classified access can be removed. Creating a second account to try and manipulate sales, evade removed access or get around negative feedback received will result in an immediate, permanent and irrevocable ban from the site.
Head-Fi and Huddler Inc. (hereafter "We") do not monitor the postings on the site for accuracy or reliability, and makes no warranty as to the accuracy or reliability of any information posted on the site. We do not guarantee or have information regarding the quality of any of the products bought or traded or acquired through the Classified area. The choice to participate, the terms of any transaction and the outcome are solely your responsibility. Deals are made solely between members and we not liable for any any loss or damage, including but not limited to no payment, not receiving item, personal injury, death, or any other negative outcome, resulting from use of the Buy, Sell, Trade forums or bought/traded items. We are not responsible and will not compensate any participants in any way for trades conducted by other Head-Fi Classified participants and will not deliver transacted products. While we encourage equitable sales and trading, we have no responsibility for the fairness or completion of any transaction.
Commercial sales and "Flipping"
The classifieds are for non-commercial non-profit sales. Buying and selling items on the forums for the express purpose of making a profit is not allowed. Buying an item to immediately resell at a profit is known as "flipping." People found to be using the forums or private messaging system for this purpose may have their account banned. Likewise, DIY items cannot be sold at greater than the cost of parts (and shipping), as doing so would make the DIY'er a Member of the Trade and subject to the rules as stated in the Terms of Service.
However, items purchased some months or years prior to the sale for private use, the market value for which has changed, can be sold at their current market value. Examples of this would be the AKG K1000, vintage Grados such as the HP-1000/HP-2, the Stax Omega I, Sony R-10 and Qualia 010. However, items sold in discount sales, such as Amazon specials, cannot be sold at market value immediately afterwards, as this is definitely flipping.
Members of the Trade cannot use the classifieds to sell items which are or include items connected with those they normally make or sell under any circumstances (even if at a loss). Eg: A cable maker cannot sell headphones that have been re-wired by them and an amp builder cannot sell amps or spare parts for amps they make, etc. Any MOT who wishes to sell an item whom is unsure as to whether they are allowed to sell something should first contact a moderator to check.
The Classifieds are not discussion forums
The Classifieds' forums are not discussion forums. Please do NOT comment in the threads unless you are directly responding with an interest in making a transaction with the poster of the classified. If you wish to notify the poster of the classified of something, please send them a private message. If you believe that a classified should be brought to the attention of the moderators and/or admins, please click on the red flag bottom left of the original post and fill in the details with what you feel is inappropriate or suspicious about it.
To protect yourself during transactions, there are a few precautions you should take. If you are a buyer, try to pay for your transactions through PayPal and use a credit card to make the payment. That way, if the transaction goes bad, you might be able to get a refund through PayPal or your credit card. If you are a seller, use PayPal, as well. It would also be wise to include insurance and/or delivery confirmation for the package. That will help protect you.
Using Paypal Gift to make a payment is a breach of the Paypal Terms of Service and leaves you NO protection.
Sending an item without registration (and without tracking), especially overseas, vastly increases the risk of the item being stolen by postal workers. We have had cases of headphones being stalled in customs in one country for a month, after which they arrived damaged. It was clear that workers had borrowed the headphones for that time before delivering them! Sending an item overseas without tracking (International Express/EMS, available in most countries, has tracking included to most destinations and has a reasonable cost) leaves you with essentially NO proof of delivery if a complaint is filed with Paypal.
Taking clear, detailed photographs of items immediately before they are shipped, including the way they were packed, as well as packing them very carefully in a box to allow for rough handling are both strongly recommended. Don't do stupid things such as sending headphones in a padded envelope! Assume that the postal workers will throw your box on and off trucks. In my experience, they tend to throw boxes harder that have "FRAGILE" stickers on them, so making your box look as boring as possible.
Feedback Rules & Guidelines
- By participating on this site, you agree to allow other users' to leave trader feedback for you, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Do not leave fraudulent feedback for another member. By participating on this site, you agree to leave only truthful feedback. This includes leaving false negative ratings for a competitor or leaving false ratings for friends. It is prohibited to exchange feedback for the sole purpose of increasing feedback scores or enhancing reputation.
- No individual is allowed to provide feedback on themselves. This includes creating multiple accounts with the intent of boosting your own rating.
- Feedback should only be left based on a completed transaction in which payment and/or trade has been successfully received. Feedback should not be left for any inquiries or exchanges where no goods or funds have passed between members.
- Do not leave offensive feedback or feedback with inappropriate content in it.
- No individual should use the trader feedback system as a threat. It is prohibited to use the feedback system as an attempt to get something that wasn't part of the original listing. Honest feedback should be given to those who deserve it, whether it is negative, positive, or neutral.
- Sellers cannot demand feedback from buyers. It is prohibited to include terms or conditions in a listing that require or restrict the buyer's right to leave feedback.
- Retaliatory feedback is not permitted.
- Ratings and comments are generally a permanent part of a member's feedback history. However, we reserve the right to remove feedback.
As well, prior to the introduction of this system, members may have a feedback thread in the Buyer/Seller Feedback Archive which people are encouraged to read first.
Credits to MacNN Forums from which these rules were partially derived.