Bb Code Editor Faq
Welcome to the BB code editor FAQ.
- What is the BB code editor? Why is it different?
- Why should I choose the BB code editor? What does it offer that the Rich format editor doesn't?
- How do I choose which editor I want to use?
- Can I create a post in the BB code editor, then edit it in the Rich format editor?
- Can I create a post in the Rich format editor and then edit it later in the BB code editor?
- What about my old posts before we had this option. Can I edit those with the BB code editor?
- I tried to quote a Rich format post in the BB code editor, and I saw a bunch of HTML. What's going on?
- Which editor should I use?
The BB code editor is different from the Rich format editor you've seen and been using here on Head-Fi. The Rich format editor is more versatile, as it relies on HTML, which gives more options. In the BB code editor, the interface is a bit morebasic, giving you the most basic features of text editing.
The BB code editor is optimal for those users posting on mobile devices. It is also a good fit for people who don't need all the bells and whistles that the Rich format editor offers, and it allows the use the popular "BB code" (as seen on numerous forums throughout the internet to post on Head-Fi. BB code is not supported in the Rich format editor.
It's easy! Just click your username in the upper right of any logged in page to get to your Profile page, and click the "Edit Account Details" button. Here, you can scroll down and select the editor you prefer to use.
Yes! But once you convert a post to the Rich format editor, there's no going back. Posts converted to Rich format need to stay in that format, as they have the ability to use features that the BB code editor and BB code just don't support.
No. Once a post is in "Rich format", it cannot be converted back. If your setting is set to use the BB code editor and you attempt to edit a Rich format post, you will temporarily have to use the Rich format editor. But don't worry. You don't have to make any settings changes. The system will handle that for you.
No. You need to use the "Rich format" editor to edit any older posts.
Rich format posts are HTML based, where Basic posts are not. (You can see the HTML of a Rich format post in the Rich format editor by clicking the "Source" button.) Because of this, the HTML will be visible in the editor to properly quote the post. You can, however, use BB code anywhere in the post, and it will be reflected when posted.
It's up to you. If you prefer a WYSIWYG editor, we recommend the Rich format editor. If you want to use BBcode, then the BB code editor is the one for you. You can even switch between them, if you feel so inclined. No matter which editor you prefer, we recommend sticking to one editor if you frequently edit your posts.